Sunday, July 13, 2008

Helicopter Intro Flight

Susi bought me a introduction to flying certificate approximately 1 1/2 years ago which I was finally able to use yesterday, July the 12th 2008. We got up early and got ready to go and then we headed to the airport. To our surprise, they have a breakfast once a month for activities they do with different types of aircraft. So we got a free breakfast before my short training meeting. Although it was short it was very informative. My instructor was Ed from Mountain Air Helicopters who was very polite and very knowledgeable. Ed and Susi know each other from her days at State Farm so he was nice enough to let us use my certificate even though it was so old.


After I learned about the controls of a helicopter we drove out to the hanger and Ed got the Helicopter out for our flight. One of the very important things he discussed about piloting a helicopter is that when you are in control that you want to make SMALL MOVEMENTS while in flight. We got into the helicopter and Ed started it up. It is a completely different feeling when you are in a helicopter! It a really cool!




Ed and I took off from the airport and headed towards our house so that we could take some aerial pictures of it. The helicopter has two sets of controls so that you can fly along with the instructor. Ed had me hold onto the Cyclic so that I could feel the movements he was making while we were in flight. He was not kidding when he emphasized SMALL MOVEMENTS but he was trusting enough to let me fly a little bit. It as awesome! As you can see our house looks a lot different form the air.



After we got done circling our house we headed out towards Hyde Park/Smithfield area. While on the way there Ed had me take the controls again and it got to the point that I had full control of the Helicopter. It was a completely awesome experience!! I have always been fascinated by helicopters and maybe will pursue a career in them but this introductory flight was just what I needed! I appreciate Susi and her gift to me! We headed back to the airport after toughing down in a field just north of Smithfield. Once we got back to the airport Ed demonstrated the auto rotation technique which is what you need to do when you loose engine power. So we were stopped just above the runway and ed cut the power to the engines. We started out descent and made a safe touchdown on the runway and then we took off again. We got back by the hanger and a different Runway and Ed was showing me how to hover in a helicopter. It is a lot harder than it looks. If you watch the video you can tell when I have control because we start flying all over out of control but it was great. Anyways it was an awesome experience that I will never forget.
Thanks Susi!!!!

3 comments:

kanaboke said...

Oooooo, that is uber awesome James! Susi, you are an amazingly awesome wife!!!

Roxy said...

looks like fun... I'm so jealous! :)

Tati said...

That sounds like so much fun! What a sweet wife you have! :)